Saturday, June 25, 2011

Toulouse Day 2

Saturday is market day in the square. Everyone is picking out and picking up their fruit, pouillet (chicken), meat, cheeses and spices for the week. There of course is bread which is bought daily, books, bags, luggage and rugs for sale.

Surrounding the square are many cafes where there is lots of people watching, drinking of espressos and talking.

I made it into the Pharmacie for a couple of necessities that I had forgotten, found a market to purchase a large container of fruit juice, stopped in a baguette shop and bought a "Vesuvio" sandwich (tomato, cheese, and herbs de Provence) which they toasted and a Granite (frozen drink) to take away (they don't say "to go" here) to my room.

I just wandered the streets of the old city today and decided not to go to Carcassone because of the crowds. If I had a comrade in arms to march along with me I would have gone. One can make all kinds of different plans, but some of the best decisions are made in the moment and this was one of safety and numbers.

No cell phone service, but email, blog and facebook are fine. All I have to do is think back to 10th year of high school and remember I had none of those things. You literally went more than a week without talking to anyone back home and your letters and postcards arrived after you were home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Jul, do be safe, but enjoy just being there. Your intuition will be your guide. Remember, you are never alone. I'm sure there is plenty to see and experience from right where you are. Always on our minds and with so very much love, Mom.