Friday, January 23, 2009

Picking Up an Old Friend

I have been in one of those funks of not having anything good to read lately.  Good books seem to come in waves and lately it seems things have been dry.

So, over Christmas I started going back and rereading some of my favorite books that I had not read in years.  I reread The Beekeeper's Apprentice and loved it once again.  Then I picked up some of Elizabeth Peter's mysteries, Elizabeth Goudge The Middle Window and right now I am reading Cordelia Underwood by Van Reid. It is a delightfully funny story that my entire family has enjoyed.  My Dad loved it and we had fun laughing over some scenes. I think Leslie's book group is to read it soon.  The authors writing has been compared to Charles Dickens, but I actually like Van Reid better!

I am sure there are plenty of good things to read out there, but  I am also trying to save a dollar and use the library more.

When it has been ten or fifteen years since you read a great book, when you pick it up again, it's like finding an old friend and reminiscing.


p.s. I was sorry to read that the author Michael Crichton passed away in November from a long bout of cancer.  Years ago, one of the first books our book group read was Sphere and all loved it.  He went on to write Jurassic Park  and other thrillers.  

1 comment:

Uno Who said...

Sorry Julie, this has nothing to do with your blog but I thought it was funny.

"May I someday be half the man that my dog thinks I am"