Thursday, July 24, 2008

The House at Riverton

Drama, intrigue, tragedy, history, secrecy, a love story and a 300 year old English country manor.

I have just finished a great summer read. While I was in London in June and we had a little time to spare at Victoria Station, we went looking for a decent copy of 'Pride and Prejudice' at a book store for Savannah. While there, I found a couple books on their best-seller list. The House at Riverton by Kate Morton was one of them.

Ninety-eight year old Grace decides to tell her life story and what a story it is. Upstairs/downstairs daily life, sisters, family, the aftershocks of WWI and many, many secrets.

It is a novel that reads like a mystery. Ms. Morton says it is "the haunting of the present by the past."

I wanted to fuss and get mad at some of these characters in many places and in the end I was sorry for it to end. This is a long book and I was up until around 1:30 am trying to finish it, but it is not one you need to rush through. These characters will be with you long past the last page. I will definitely be recommending this one to my book club. Check out Ms. Morton's website. A lovely storyteller. www.katemorton.com

No comments: