Thursday, July 31, 2008

An Epiphany

Our last day at the beach has finally come. I know I don't have to tell anyone that the time spent together has been wonderful and extra special, but it has.

When I married at nineteen, DH and I were still attending Lipscomb, both working and trying to learn how to live together. DH had to drive one and a half hours to Pulaski to work right after he got out of school and would not be home until 11:30 pm. This went on for about a year and a half until he graduated early. Then he worked full days and that would be leaving early and not getting home until 9:15. And this was with zero days off.

The business in Pulaski was sold and they started up in Franklin and Nashville. Savannah came in 1991 and I KNOW John worked every day of our marriage for about 15 years. We would take a five day trip once a year and go visit my family for a couple days at holidays.

Savannah and I would go visit my parents and they would come see me. Leslie usually came up about once a month. DH worked hard so I could stay home with Sav and always encouraged me to go visit my family.

In between there the cancer came three times and life went on. That is life altering in itself and I won't even go there.

About 6 or 7 years ago, DH decided to take one day off a week. Then a few years ago 2 days. This was huge! There were plenty of times when I went home that people didn't know what my husband looked like.

Well, a year and a half ago, DH had an epiphany and said, "Is this it?" And he realized that Savannah only had three more years home and she would be leaving for college.

Our lives changed that day. We all spend more time together and value every day.

DH has said twice, when he was last down here and last night, "I'm in my happy place. Right now." I wanted to cry with love. I don't know how many of you are married to a workaholic or a former workaholic, but it does and can get better.

I am so thankful for the place we are now in our lives. It has been long and hard, with lots of hours away from each other, but I know all along that God has a plan for us. He is so loving and giving to us if we just love Him and are faithful.

I will have to say that all through our marriage, being faithful to the Lord's church has been our strength. Without the love of our church family, it would have been doubly hard. So I cannot stress enough how important your Spiritual life is.

There are alot of things I know that we would do differently now, but we have always had the love of both sides of the families and most importantly, the love for each other and I thank God every day for my darling husband John.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

You have a precious husband. I have noticed the past few years seeing more of John! I'm glad he's able to spend more time with you and Savannah and your families...you never know what tomorrow will hold! Cherish every moment!