Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Restaurants, Cooking and Julia

DH (my dear husband) and I enjoy watching the restaurant shows on television. They tend to come on BBC America, food network or Bravo channels.  Chef Ramsey goes to a struggling restaurant, discovers the problem and tries to fix the menu, managing, chef and wait staff.

We have discovered that a lot of unsavory things go on in the restaurant business!  I am amazed at the poor cleaning that some do! Eeeeek!  Yuk! On one show, the waiter dumped left over tortilla chips BACK into the drawer for someone else!

It's very interesting to say the least!  It has definitely made me more aware of how little fresh food the restaurants serve.  Of course, there are the exceptions.  We have discovered that you usually get what you pay for.

So, we have been eating at home much, much more.  

All that is to say that I have been reading and enjoying a new book.  The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry by Kathleen Finn.  The blurb reads "Love, Laughter and Tears in Paris at the World's Most Famous Cooking School."  Ms. Flinn fulfills a dream to go to Paris and enroll in the famous Le Cordon Bleu cooking school.  

I always wanted to know what went on in one of the cooking schools and Ms. Flinn writes in detail on the menus, Chefs, students and living in Paris.

Growing up I would watch Julia Child with mom and Les on PBS on Saturday morning.  We would laugh along with her as she made French cooking fun!  I think I might see if the library has any of her video/dvd's that I could get my daughter to watch.


1 comment:

Mandy said...

I might have to check out that book. Mark and I love cooking shows too!