Thursday, February 19, 2009

Taking a Break to Read With James

Years ago I read the book The Hidden Art of Homemaking by Edith Schaeffer, the wife of the famous theologian Dr. Francis Schaeffer. 

She encourages reading of all kinds, but made an excellent suggestion.  For as many pages you read of a book, read an equal amount of pages from the Bible.  Stay in the Word daily.  I have tried to take her advice.  It is easy to get lost reading for pleasure and I always want my reading from the Bible to be pleasurable too.

Anywho, you know how much reading I do.  I am working my way through the Bible already for this year and I am to Leviticus.  I love the historical parts of the Bible, but I thought if I read one more thing about a leporous pustule or if a woman was clean or unclean from her cycles, I thought I would be sick.  It is truly like a medical journal in places.  Nothing is left uncovered! Don't get me wrong, I am so amazed at the detail that is there and it is just another example of the proof of a higher power.

I had to take a break from Leviticus!  I am happy to say that I have enjoyed reading from the book of James today.  I look forward to meeting the brother of Jesus one day. His book is so encouraging and he seems to know how hard things can be for us in this world. "...knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience."

No comments: