Tuesday, May 19, 2009

For Love of the Library




When I visit a friend or walk into a persons home, I always love to look at the books on their bookshelves. What authors tend to be their favorites? Do they collect a certain genre? What are they reading right now? Are they old books? Fiction? Biographies?

I like to visit the library and check out the new title sections, visit the local independent book store and read the staff favorites and what the local book clubs are reading this month. When Leslie (my sister) visits, we always ask what the other is reading for fun and what our book groups are reading.

Book blogging is fun, but nothing beats word of mouth and the expression on a persons face when they are telling you about a book they just read that has possibly changed their life! 

A home library is a way to see into a persons heart. You can tell a lot about a person by the books on their shelves or even the cook books in their kitchen. 

What does your library say about you?


photo 1-George Vanderbilt's library at the Biltmore House, Asheville, North Carolina
photo 2-the Reading Room at the British Museum, London, England
photo 3- the Bibliotheque Nationale de France, Paris, France



1 comment:

McCullough Family said...

I am not sure what the books I have say about me... but I love to read and get lost in a good book. I am "happier" when I am actively reading and it gives me something to look forward to!